Bangladesh Marine Academy is a full-governmental maritime educational institution managed by the Ministry of Shipping, Government of Bangladesh. It offers courses of all levels of sea-services from Pre-Sea Cadet Training up to Master Mariners & Marine Chief Engineers.
Established in 1972, the Academy bears 5 decades’ long reputation of producing professionally skilled, environmentally aware, prudent and polite Marine Cadets. It grooms the young Cadets (after schooling of 12 years with HSC [A-Level]), currently 180 per year including 20 Female Cadets, through a regimental and residential education and training programme with English as the working language, in accordance with the competence standards (Nautical Science and Marine Engineering) as required by the International Maritime Organization’s (IMO – a UN Agency) STCW Convention as amended.
Our cadets are smart, alert and lively at all times; ready to receive any responsibility anytime on board. Particularly they are professionally sound, good in Mathematics & English and polite in behaviour with strong leadership capabilities.
BMA Campus is spread over 100 acres of lush green land over the hills & valleys of Juldia beside the river Karnafuly and the Bay of Bengal offers excellent educational environment and facilities and imparts quality maritime education and training.
Since establishment in 1972 till 2021, we have produced nearly 5 thousand smart, skilled and disciplined Cadets. In almost every corner of the globe you will find a Bangladesh Marine Academy Graduate at some key-role maritime position. Our milestone step was to open our door for Female Cadets in 2012 as well. We also have commenced research & maritime consultancy for national & international organisations.
The Academy is committed to its mission statement ‘developing world-class maritime leaders’ and provides 4-years’ Pre-Sea Nautical Science and 4-years’ Pre-Sea Marine Engineering courses. In parallel, the Cadets are also provided with 4-years’ Bachelor of Maritime Science in Nautical Science/Marine Engineering (Honours) Degree under an affiliation with Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Maritime University, Bangladesh.
Our Graduates enjoy spontaneous employment opportunities in various national and foreign-flagged merchant ships. Any reputed national and international ship management company may well consider making due-use of our Graduates’ smart and skilled professionalism.
Let’s go hand in hand – Bon Voyage!
Dr. Sajid Hussain HonDSc MSc CEng CMarEng FIMarEST
IMO Maritime Ambassador
Governor, Board of Governors, World Maritime University, Sweden
Trustee and Council Member, IMarEST London
Maritime Expert (IMO & GlobalMET)
COMMANDANT, Bangladesh Marine Academy
Commandant Sajid’s Research Paper (WMU 1998) based on which “Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Maritime University, Bangladesh” has been established in 2013.
Commandant Sajid received Marine Award at London
15 March 2019, London
The IMarEST (Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology) Council events (AGM, Conference etc.) took place on 14-15 March 2019 at Trinity House and at Guildhall in London.
The IMarEST 116th Annual Dinner held on 15 March in Royal British tradition. This dinner is the Institute’s century-old flagship event, bringing together over 400 industry leaders and marine professionals from across the sector. In the formal part of the grand occasion, Commandant Sajid Hussain CEng CMarEng FIMarEST of Bangladesh Marine Academy (BMA) has been decorated with the ‘Outstanding Contribution Award in Marine Education 2019’ by the IMarEST President Dr Andrew Tyler CBE and David Loosley, IMarEST Chief Executive. Remarkably, Sajid Hussain has achieved the highest status ‘Chartered Engineer’ of UK Engineering Council in 2017.
The citation on Sajid’s recorded performance in transforming BMA from ‘Traditional to Digital during 2009-2019’ attracted the associated guests, mainly British, who applauded and highly praised such recognition by the IMarEST. Sajid’s life-time mentor Prof. Ken Rotter FIMarEST (ex-Chief Engineer, BMA: 1975-80) has commented ‘IMarEST has duly noticed and recognized what Sajid Hussain has been doing in Bangladesh’. Commandant Sajid mentioned that his inspiration begun from his own cadetship training in 1978-80 at BMA with the teachings of Capt E J Coolen (ex-Commandant, BMA: 1975-80 and Prof. Ken Rotter – both are British.
Commandant SAJID HUSSAIN CEng CMarEng FIMarEST is receiving the “Outstanding Contribution Award in Marine Education 2018” from the IMarEST’s 117th President Dr Andrew Tyler CBE at the 116th Annual Dinner 2019, held on 15 March 2019 at Guildhall, London.
BMA Commandant Sajid Hussain (15E) elected as a TRUSTEE of IMarEST London
Five new Trustees for the Board of Trustees (BoT) of the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST London), including Dr. MarEngr. Sajid Hussain (15E), Commandant of Bangladesh Marine Academy, have been elected for 3 years’ term in the IMarEST Council AGM (held on 2 April 2020) through tele-conference from London.
Thereafter, the Induction Session for the New Trustees (Matt Bolton – UK, Barry Brooks – UK, Sajid Hussain – Bangladesh, Alan Mills – USA, Parviz Sangin – Iran) has been held on 24 April through video-conference from London.
The Board of Trustees (BoT) is the IMarEST’s “Governing Body” and has responsibility for policy and strategic matters. Being in the BoT is honour, dignity & responsibility and we would like to share it with our loving Cadets, respected Colleagues, ex-Cadets, IMarEST/NI Members and Well-wishers.
Commandant Sajid is a Council Member of the IMarEST since 2017. From now on, he will perform as a Trustee & a Council Member both for IMarEST London HQ.
Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology (IMarEST) is a professional body, headquartered in London having 21,699 Members from 120 countries including Bangladesh.
Votes of all Council Members were given by emails and the result has been published on 3 April 2020.
Commandant Sajid is seeking cooperation of all professional well-wishers, Mariners, ex-Cadets and the blessings of Almighty Allah
Brief life-sketch of SAJID HUSSAIN
SAJID HUSSAIN is serving at the helm of Bangladesh Marine Academy as its COMMANDANT since 15 October 2009. Earlier he has served the Academy during 1993 – 2009 as an Engineer Instructor, a Senior Engineer Instructor & then as the Chief Engineer (Head of Marine Engineering Department). Informatively, he is the FIRST Marine Engineer to be a Commandant of the Academy since its establishment in 1962.
He was a Minor Freedom Fighter (age 12) at Madhupur Freedom Fighters’ Camp (near the border between Naogaon of Bangladesh & West Dinajpur of India) under Sector-7 during Bangladesh liberation war in 1971.
Sea & Academy Service
After graduating from Bangladesh Marine Academy in 1980, he joined Bangladesh Shipping Corporation as a Cadet Engineer; served on-board BSC ocean-going ships until 1995 [last 5 years as Chief Engineer]; served Bangladesh Marine Academy as its Head of Marine Engineering Department (Chief Engineer: 1995-2009) and since then he is serving as the Commandant.
He studied in Liakat-Nazir High School [Pabna], Pabna Zilla School, Rajshahi Cadet College [SSC/HSC (3rd position)], Bangladesh Marine Academy [pre-sea Marine Engineering (2nd position)], South Tyneside College, UK [Marine Engineering] and in World Maritime University, Sweden [MSc in Maritime Safety Administration – Marine Engineering]. Additionally, he has also been awarded with a DSc in Maritime Education (Honoris Causa).
Current Professional Status
- Trustee, Guild of Benevolence, IMarEST London [2021 – current]
- Trustee of IMarEST London [April 2020 – current]
- Recognized Speaker, IMarEST London [2020 – current]
- Fellow, International Association of Marine and Shipping Professionals [2020 – current]
- Member, IMarEST Women’s Network, IMarEST London [2020 – current]
- Member, Human Element Working Group (HEWG), IMarEST [2018 – current]
- Member, Technical Leadership Board (TLB), IMarEST [2018 – current]
- Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council, UK [2017 – current]
- Chartered Marine Engineer, IMarEST London [2017 – current]
- Council Member, IMarEST London [2017 – current]
- Member, Professional Affairs & Education Committee (PAEC), IMarEST London [2017 – current]
- IMO Maritime Ambassador [May 2016 – current]
- Member, Board of Governors of World Maritime University, Sweden [2013 – current]
- Maritime Consultant, GlobalMET (Australia) [2007 – current]
- Fellow, IMarEST London [2007 – current]
- Associate, Precious Alliance (UK) – Research associate of BIMCO [2007 – current]
- Maritime Expert (as a WMU Graduate), IMO [1999 – current]
Former Professional Status
- Council Member, IMarEST London [2006-2007]
- Chartered Marine Technologist, IMarEST London [2007 – 2017]
- Member, Professional Affairs & Education Committee (PAEC), IMarEST London [2007-2010]
- Chairman, IMarEST Bangladesh Branch (2010 – 2012)
- Incorporated Engineer, Engineering Council, UK [2004 – 2006]
- Founding Project Director, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Maritime University [2010-12]
- Member of Senate, Syndicate, Council & Finance Committee of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Maritime University [2013 – current]
- Project Co-ordinator, “Capacity building to strengthen delivery of maritime education in Bangladesh” with Australian Maritime College (University of Tasmania), Australia [2011 – 2013]
- Project Co-ordinator, Integrated Simulator Centre Project & Training Ship Project [2016 – 2018]
- Co-ordinator, Cadets’ Employment with IMEC (International Maritime Employers Commission – London)
- Lead Consultant, Maritime Labour Convention Ratification Project, ILO Dhaka [2011 – 2012]
- Ex-Vice-Chairman, Industrial Skills Committee (Transport), ILO Dhaka [2008 – 2009]
- Panel Member of 3-Members’ Panel of WMU Alumni Regional Conference in Myanmar [Jan 2015]
- Vice President, Old Rajshahi Cadets’ Association (ORCA) Homes, Chattogram, Bangladesh
- Chief Advisor, Tri-Taranga Recitation Club, Chattogram, Bangladesh
Commandant : Bangladesh Marine Academy : 2009-current
Chief Engineer (Head of Engg. Dept) : Bangladesh Marine Academy : 1995-2009
Chairman : IMarEST (London) Bangladesh Branch : 2010-2012
Vice-Chairman : IMarEST (London) Bangladesh Branch : 2007-2009
President : Friends of WMU (Sweden) Bangladesh : 1999-current
President, Asia & Pacific Students Forum : World Maritime University, Sweden : 1998
Class Representative : World Maritime University, Sweden : 1998
Chief Cadet Captain : Bangladesh Marine Academy : 1980
Commander, Colour & Banner Party : Rajshahi Cadet College, Bangladesh : 1978
Cubs Leader : Pabna Zilla School, Bangladesh : 1969-72
His publications include his MSc Thesis (A proposal for establishment of a Maritime University in Bangladesh: published by WMU Sweden in 1998 and later in Germany in 2010), 30 technical/research papers, 23 books and around 250+ features/articles on shipping, sea-life, IT, science & technology and science-fiction.
He has achieved the IMarEST Branch Award 2007-08 for his research paper titled “Vision of e-Learning and its application into Maritime Education and Training” and the “IMarEST President’s Commendation” in 2012 and the ‘Outstanding Contribution Award in Marine Education 2019’ by the IMarEST London for transforming the Academy from ‘Traditional to Digital during 2009-2019’.
Sajid Hussain and his wife Ms. Meher Nigar are parents of 1 son & 2 daughters. The son is an Architect, elder daughter (after graduating in CSE at East Delta University at Chattogram) studying MSc in Information Systems at Technical University of Hamburg (TUHH Germany) and the younger one is studying MBA at University of Chittagong.
His father was Late Al-Haj Adv. Amzad Hussain [Ex-MP (1973 Parliament) & a Freedom Fighter of Sector-7] and Mother was Late Al-Haj Prof. Jannatul Ferdous [Ex-MP (1996 Parliament) & a Freedom Fighter of Sector-7].