There is a governing body headed by Secretary Ministry of Shipping and 9 other distinguished members from government, autonomous and private organization. The main functions and activities of the governing body is to provide directives with regards to maintain the Marine Academy as a center of maritime excellence, financial management analysis, evolution of standard of training and trainees and to evaluate effectiveness of the training.
Members of the governing body are :
- Secretary Ministry of Shipping- Chairman
- Joint secretary Ministry of Shipping Member
- Joint secretary Ministry of Establishment- Member
- Joint secretary Ministry Finance-Member
- Director General Department of Shipping- Member
- Chairman, Chittagong Port Authority- Member
- Managing Director, Bangladesh Shipping Corporation- Member
- Principal, National Maritime Institute- Member
- President, Bangladesh Ocean Going Ship- Member Owners Association.
- Commandant, Marine Academy- Member Secretary.