Bangladesh Marine Academy is a full-governmental maritime educational institution managed by the Ministry of Shipping, Govt. of Bangladesh. It offers courses of all levels of sea-services from Pre-Sea Cadet Training up to Master Mariners & Marine Chief Engineers.
Established in 1962, the Academy bears 55 years’ long reputation of producing professionally skilled, environmentally aware, prudent and polite Marine Cadets. It grooms the young Cadets (after schooling of 12 years with HSC [A-Level]), currently 80 per year, through a regimental and residential education and training programme with English as the working language, in accordance with the competence standards (Nautical Science and Marine Engineering) as required by the International Maritime Organization (IMO – a UN Agency) STCW Convention.
Our cadets are smart, alert and lively at all times; ready to receive any responsibility anytime on board. Particularly they are professionally sound, good in Mathematics & English and polite in behaviour with strong leadership capabilities.
BMA Campus is spread over 100 acres of lush green land over the hills & valleys of Juldia beside the river Karnafuly and the Bay of Bengal offers excellent educational environment and facilities and imparts quality maritime education and training.
Since establishment in 1962 till 2016, we have produced nearly 4,300 smart, skilled and disciplined Cadets. In almost every corner of the globe you will find a Bangladesh Marine Academy Graduate at some key-role maritime position. Door has been opened for Female Cadets in 2012. It also commenced research & maritime consultancy for national & international organisations.
The Academy is committed to the mission ‘developing world-class maritime leaders’ and provides 4-years’ Pre-Sea Nautical Science and 4-years’ Pre-Sea Marine Engineering. In parallel, the Cadets are also provided with 4-years Bachelor of Maritime Science (Honours) Degree under an affiliation with Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Maritime University, Bangladesh.
Our Graduates enjoy spontaneous employment opportunities in various national and foreign-flagged merchant ships. Any reputed national and international ship management company may well consider making due-use of our Graduates’ smart and skilled professionalism.
Let’s go hand in hand – Bon Voyage!
MarEngr. Sajid Hussain DSc MSc CEng CMarEng FIMarEST
IMO Maritime Ambassador
Governor, Board of Governors, World Maritime University, Sweden
Maritime Expert (IMO & GlobalMET)
COMMANDANT, Bangladesh Marine Academy
Brief life-sketch of SAJID HUSSAIN
SAJID HUSSAIN is serving at the helm of Bangladesh Marine Academy as its COMMANDANT since 15 October 2009. Earlier he has served the Academy during 1993–2009 as Engineer Instructor, Senior Engineer Instructor & then as the Chief Engineer. Informatively, he is the FIRST Marine Engineer to be a Commandant of Bangladesh Marine Academy since its establishment in 1962.
He was a Minor Freedom Fighter (age 12) at Madhupur Freedom Fighters’ Camp (near the border between Naogaon of Bangladesh & West Dinajpur of India) under Sector-7 during Bangladesh liberation war in 1971.
After graduating from Bangladesh Marine Academy in 1980, he joined Bangladesh Shipping Corporation as a Cadet Engineer; served on-board BSC ocean-going ships until 1995 [last 5 years as Chief Engineer]; served Bangladesh Marine Academy as its Head of Marine Engineering Department (Chief Engineer: 1995-2009) and since then he is serving as the Commandant.
He studied in Liakat-Nazir High School [Pabna], Pabna Zilla School, Rajshahi Cadet College [SSC/HSC (3rd position)], Bangladesh Marine Academy [pre-sea Marine Engineering (2nd position)], South Tyneside College, UK [Marine Engineering] and in World Maritime University, Sweden [MSc in Maritime Safety Administration – Marine Engineering]. Additionally, he has also been awarded with a DSc in Marine Engineering as a recognition to his professional excellence.
His Professional Status
- IMO Maritime Ambassador [May 2016-current]
- Member, Board of Governors of World Maritime University, Sweden [2013- current]
- Maritime Consultant, GlobalMET (Australia) [since 2007]
- Maritime Expert (as a WMU Graduate), IMO [registered since 1999]
- Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council, UK [Since 2017]
- Chartered Marine Engineer, IMarEST – London [Since 2017]
- Council Member, IMarEST – London [Since 2017]
- Member, Professional Affairs & Education Committee (PAEC), IMarEST [Since 2017]
- Chartered Marine Technologist, IMarEST – London [2007-2017]
- Fellow, IMarEST – London [Since 2007]
- Council Member, IMarEST – London [2006-2007]
- Member, Professional Affairs & Education Committee (PAEC), IMarEST [2007-2010]
- Chairman, IMarEST (London), Bangladesh Branch (2010-2012)
- Incorporated Engineer, Engineering Council, UK [2004-2006]
- Associate, Precious Alliance (UK) – Research associate of BIMCO [Since 2007]
- Founding Project Director, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Maritime University [2010-12]
- Member of Senate, Syndicate, Council & Finance Committee of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Maritime University [2013-current]
- Project Co-ordinator, “Capacity building to strengthen delivery of maritime education in Bangladesh” with Australian Maritime College (University of Tasmania), Australia [2011-13]
- Project Co-ordinator, Integrated Simulator Centre Project & Training Ship Project [2016-18]
- Co-ordinator, Cadets’ Employment with IMEC (Int’l Maritime Employers Commission – London)
- Lead Consultant, Maritime Labour Convention Ratification Project, ILO Dhaka [2011-12]
- Ex-Vice-Chairman, Industrial Skills Committee (Transport), ILO Dhaka [2008-09]
- President, Friends of WMU (Sweden) Bangladesh 
- Panel Member of 3-Members’ Panel of WMU Alumni Regional Conference in Myanmar [Jan 2015]
- Vice President, ORCA Homes, Chittagong, Bangladesh
- Advisor, D-Engineers’ Club, Chittagong, Bangladesh
- Chief Advisor, Tri-Taranga Recitation Club, Chittagong, Bangladesh
He was Captain of Pabna Zilla School Cubs (1969-1972), Asst. House Leader & Commander of Colour & Banner Party at Rajshahi Cadet College (1978), Chief Cadet Captain at Bangladesh Marine Academy and was the elected President of the Asia-Pacific Students Forum (21 countries) & Class Representative at World Maritime University in 1998.
His publications include his MSc Thesis (A proposal for establishment of a Maritime University in Bangladesh: published by WMU Sweden in 1998 and later in Germany in 2010 ), 20 technical/research papers, 19 books and around 250+ features/articles on shipping, sealife, IT, science & technology and science-fiction.
He has achieved the IMarEST Branch Award 2007-08 for his research paper titled “Vision of e-Learning and its application into Maritime Education and Training” and the “IMarEST President’s Commendation” in 2012.
Sajid Hussain and his wife Ms. Meher Nigar are parents of 1 son & 2 daughters. The son is an Architect (married to an Architect too); elder daughter is studying Bachelor in Computer Science & Engineering at EDU at Chittagong and the younger one is studying BBA at CIU at Chittagong.
His father was Late Al-Haj Adv. Amzad Hussain [Ex-MP (1973 Parliament) & a Freedom Fighter of Sector-7] and Mother was Late Al-Haj Prof. Jannatul Ferdous [Ex-MP (1996 Parliament) & a Freedom Fighter of Sector-7].